Yoga Sutra Chapter 1 – Health & Healing
This course presents Patañjali’s Yoga Sutra Chapter 1 as offering a comprehensive system for health and healing. While the text comes from a very different context, it continues to be relevant today as a system of self-care and liberation. The basic premise of the Yoga Sūtra suggests that we can use our mind as a tool for healing. Patañjali promises that it is possible to heal even the deepest and most unconscious levels of our psyche. In this course, we will explore Chapter 1 of the Yoga Sūtra using the work of T. Krishnamacharya & T.K.V Desikachar as a foundation for the teachings.
This 20-hour (10hr Video & 10hr assignment) self-paced Video course can be taken by individuals for Continuing Education Units (CEU’s), complete with a CEU certificate (upon request) from Healing Yoga Institute. This course can also help complete distance learning hours for yoga teacher trainings and yoga therapy trainings. If you have a teacher training or yoga therapy training group, please email us at: email@example.com for details and group rates.
Here is the introduction video to the course, which includes sūtra-s 1-4:
Cost for individual: $108
Course Title: The Psychology of Health & Healing in Yoga Sūtra
Term: self start (completion within 1 year from start date and up to two years to re-watch the videos)
Instructor: Amy Wheeler, Ph.D.
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Upon successful completion of the course, students will be able to:
1) Understand the experiential nature of classical Yoga as a healing tool, as codified by Patañjali
2) Understand the importance of heartfelt relationships as a healing tool according to Yoga Sūtra of Patañjali
3) Understand the application of Patañjali’s techniques in order to transform one’s health and healing process
1) Students will watch online streaming video lectures on the various aspects of the Yoga Sūtra at amywheeler.com. Downloadable, audio only versions are also provided with each lesson.
2) Weekly reading assignments from the required text(s) will be used to further explore and supplement the topics presented in the video lectures. The videos and lectures will match in topic each week
3) In total the course requires the following: (1) 1-2 hours of video lectures a week; (2) an average of 25 pages of reading a week;
Required Text & Materials:
Students are required to watch the online video lectures or listen to the downloadable audio.
Bernard Bouanchaud. The Essence of Yoga: Reflections of the Yoga Sūtra of Patañjali. Portland, Oregon: Rudra Press, 1997.
T.K.V. Desikachar. The Heart of Yoga: Developing a Personal Practice. Rochester, Vermont: Inner Traditions International, 1999.